Thursday, May 13, 2010

Oatmeal for dessert? Brilliant!

I've discovered the best easy, yet healthy dessert: oatmeal!

Okay, not just oatmeal by itself, because that's a little boring and bland, definitely not something my taste buds dance for. However, when you mix it with chocolate, peanut butter and maybe a bit of agave or maple syrup, well that's magic.



Chocolate Peanut Butter Maple (CPBM) Oatmeal

- 1/2c quick oats
- 1 tsp - 1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa (depends on how much you like dark chocolate)
- 1 generous spoonful of peanut butter
- water or plant milk
- maple syrup

Put oats into microwave safe bowl. Add cocoa and dollop of peanut butter. Use water or plant milk of your choice to cover oats. Pop in the microwave for 1-1.5 minutes. Take out and mix. Top with drizzle of maple syrup.

You may want to test for sweetness before you dig in. Depending on how much cocoa you put in, it may be bitter, requiring more maple syrup (or agave).

Fun fact: did you know that quick oats are just rolled oats cut into smaller pieces?

Running continues...
Today I ran for another 3 miles; I'm so proud of myself. It's becoming easier, so yay for that. The one thing I hate is my sore calves the next day. How long should you wait to run (if at all) if your calves are killing you? I always wondering if I should not be running at all, running a shorter distance (which is what I typically do), or ignore the soreness all together and do another 3 miles. I feel lazy if I don't work out at all, plus I have a dog who needs a walk/jog/run regardless if my legs are tired or not.

I'm pretty excited for tomorrow; I'm volunteering at work to supervise (read: babysit) 4th and 5th grade girls while they're visiting our company. We do a Girls Tech Camp every year for a day to teach girls about how fun math and science can be. It's a really awesome program that I'm pleased my company does. I've helped 3 times in the past so far; the girls are lots of fun. It doesn't hurt that I also get to take time off work to do it.

Question of the day: What do you like to volunteer your time to?

No comments:

Post a Comment