Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

My mom is out of town for my sister's college graduation. I'm watching the two aging pups for my parents instead. Don't worry though, I made my mom breakfast last weekend when we returned from Belize. We had a vegetable hash and some banana crepes; quite tasty.

Are you doing anything special for Mom's Day?

The past couple of meals I've failed to take pics of, however I did create some yummy breakfast pancakes yesterday that everyone can use for Mother's Day!

Banana Oat Pancakes:
1c rolled oats

2 ripe bananas
1/2c almond milk
1/2c water
2T oil
1T maple syrup
1/2t vanilla

1/8-1/4c flour (preferably whole wheat pastry flour, though AP will work)
2 1/4t baking powder
1/4t salt
1/2t cinnamon
1/4t nutmeg

Take oats and blend them in food processor or high powered blender into a flour. Put in a large bowl, set aside.

Take bananas, almond milk, water, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla and blend in the food processor until liquid.

In bowl with oats, combine flour (you may need more or less depending on how fine of oat flour you created and how big your bananas are), baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix together.

Pour liquid into the dry and mix together. Try to avoid over mixing.

Heat large skillet on medium heat. Spray with oil if necessary. Once heated, pour the batter into skillet into pancake sized rounds. I like to spread them so they cook evenly by skimming the top with the spoon. Flip when sides are dry-ish.

Serve with warm maple syrup.



These pancakes were delicious. It was nice to make them with oats because at my mom's house they only have AP flour, and I've been trying to avoid white flour and other "white" foods (white sugar, white pasta, white rice, etc.).

I've also recently had Snobby Joes from Veganomicon, one of my favorite easy, healthy recipes. Had some baked French fries and some arame salad from Chocolate Covered Katie. I don't know how I feel about the arame salad; I think I need to try a different dressing. It isn't bad, it just doesn't make my taste buds dance.

Yesterday we saw Iron Man 2, which I enjoyed. It seemed to be on par with the first Iron Man. Make sure you stay through the credits to see the sneak peek. We always sneak in candy from a drugstore; I had a bar of dark chocolate. I really miss Junior Mints.

What's your favorite candy to sneak in to movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment