Thursday, May 20, 2010

Best Part of Waking up is Breakfast

I love breakfast. Sometimes I want to go to bed early so I can enjoy breakfast sooner. I love every part of it: pancakes, waffles, French toast, roasted potatoes, cinnamon rolls, fruit salad, smoothies, oatmeal, granola, tofu scramble, it's all delicious.

I was never a big fan of tofu scramble until I found this vegweb.com recipe: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=14074.0

It was so good. I like to mix in whatever veggies I have lying around like sliced mushrooms, zucchini, green pepper, etc. It's all brilliant. The sauce part makes a lot, but if you freeze it, you can save it for another tofu scramble day (or put it on some veggies during dinner).



French toast is also a weekend favorite, especially when it's topped with fruit and maple syrup. The egg free version is as tasty as I remember. I basically leverage another recipe from vegweb.com.

The mixture is 1 cup plant milk (I prefer almond), 2 tbsps of whole wheat pastry flour (WWPF), a 1/2 tsp agave syrup, a dash of cinnamon, and a half tsp of vanilla extract. Mix it up in a shallow dish (like a pie tin). I also like to toast my bread before I dip it in the mixture, so help prevent it from becoming mushy.



On the weekdays, I keep the breakfast creation a little simpler. I typically pick either oatmeal, muesli, or granola. Practically every day during the winter I ate granola I made myself.

Recently I've been rediscovering my love of oatmeal. When I used to make oatmeal for myself (not from instant packets), it was always the same: oats, water, raisins, cinnamon. Eating that day in and day out can get a bit boring. It wasn't until I started following Chocolate Covered Katie's blog that I started to see oatmeal as more of a foundation to create delicious breakfast meals.

I recently made oatmeal with ground ginger, lemon zest, and blueberry jam (all fruit). So tasty and interesting.



When the days start getting warmer, I like to eat muesli instead (ie basically cold oatmeal). I take out a bowl the night before and put in:
- Rolled oats
- Raisins
- Nuts/seeds that float my boat (almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.)
- Spices (cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg)
- Almond milk to cover the oats

I put in the fridge overnight covered with plastic wrap. In the morning I may add a little more almond milk, maybe some sweetener (agave or maple syrup), and/or fresh sliced fruit (berries, bananas) and chow down. The oats will have absorbed the milk and turned it into a creamy consistency. Very tasty.



Question of the day: what's your favorite breakfast meal?

Last night I spent a good amount of time updating my resume. It's good to occasionally take the time to look it over, add any new information, etc. even when you're not actively job searching. I will say writing a resume as an experienced professional is a bit harder than doing it for college. Trying to capture what you do at work that's important and sounds impression can be a little difficult.

Even after I finish, I like to send it to a couple of people to see if they have any feedback. Everyone has their own style when it comes to resume writing, so it can be a challenge to pick and choose what you want to incorporate into your final version.

No comments:

Post a Comment