Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's getting hot in here...


The temp is at 95F right now and it's hot.  I've had to run later in the morning the past couple of days due to early morning meetings with people in India, and this morning was a struggle.  Even my podcast talking about Voodoo wasn't enough to distract me from my dying in the heat (did you know that the slave uprising in Haiti in the 1791 was the only successful slave revolt?!).  I was so hot while running that I was panting like crazy, not all that different than my pup running with me. :)

Unfortunately the temperature isn't going to let up any time soon, 89 tomorrow, 90 on Thursday...blech.  Maybe I'll be able to hit the pool after work one of these days.  Until then I'll have to enjoy my green smoothie and carry my little blue fan around with me in the house.

It's days like this where I don't want to be turning on the oven or spending a bunch of time over a hot stove.  Quick, healthy and tasty meals are what I want, but I don't want to be eating a salad every night.  A pot of noodles, some pesto and veggies and a tasty meal is made.  This is made really quick if you have some leftover pesto in the fridge/freezer, if not, it adds a couple of steps.  My favorite vegan pesto recipe is from Vegan Planet.

Vegan Planet Basil Pesto
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3c pine nuts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2c basil
- 1/4c EVOO

Grind the garlic, nuts and salt together in a food processor until it's grainy.  Add the basil and grind some more.  While the machine is on, drizzle in the oil.  You'll probably need to scrape down the sides to make sure everything gets ground up.

NEVER let your basil go bad in your fridge or on your plant outside.  It's really easy to make a batch of pesto out of it and store it in the freezer until you want to use it.  Pesto is tasty on noodles, pizzas, English muffins, you name it.  I love basil so much I could just roll in it or use it as a personal perfume.  Do you have a favorite herb?

Veggie Pesto Pasta
- 1/2 lb whole wheat pasta of your choice
- 1 zucchini cut into strips
- 1 large head of broccoli, stalk and florets cut up into bite sized pieces
- one batch of vegan pesto!

Boil the water and make the pasta.  Depending on how long your pasta takes to cook, you'll have to time the cooking of the veggies accordingly.  Saute the veggies in a tbsp of oil on medium heat for 10 minutes.  Cover and turn the heat down to med-low to steam them a bit.  Once the noodles are almost finished cooking, add the pesto into the veggies and mix around.  Drain the pasta but reserve some of the pasta water.  Pour about a cup into the pesto veggies and stir around to create a sauce.  Mix the noodles and veggies together and top with some ground pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment