Saturday, July 10, 2010

Breakfast Bunnies!

Aren't bunnies so cute?  At least they are cute until they start munching on your garden.  I wonder if this is the one that was caught nibbling on my lettuce, or the one that was nibbling on my strawberries.  Either way, that bunny is a cutie!

I've stopped purchasing regular cereals from the grocery.  Vegan cereals that are healthy tend to be rather expensive, so I've been trying to develop different foods to eat that involve whole foods/ingredients.  I'm always looking for new meals to try at breakfast, something quick but delicious. My go to meals are either oatmeal (with mix-ins!) or granola.  Granola is relatively easy to make, however you have to think ahead to make sure you have it on hand.  I like to bake mine on low heat for a couple of hours, which means yet another heat source during the summer.  Yuck.  On top of that, I also like my granola somewhat soft, so I heat it up in almond milk when I eat it for breakfast, but in the summer, the heat is a bit ugh. 


I've come across a couple of new ideas.  The one above is basically a lazy person's cinnamon rolls.  Get the smell and taste without the hours waiting for dough to rise.  I got this idea from Vegetarian Sandwiches.


Lazy Cinnamon Rolls
- English muffin, sliced in half
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance
- A couple of dashes of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 almonds, chopped

Make sure the EB is soft enough to mash and mix.  Mix the EB with the cinnamon and brown sugar.  Smear on the two halves and top with chopped almonds.  Pop in the toaster oven on 400F for 3 minutes.  Enjoy!

Alternative: To make it even more like a cinnamon roll, mix up some frosting and drizzle some on the top.

This second one was just as easy, but it takes a little more forethought; you'll need to whip this up the night before.  This idea was leveraged from Vegan Planet.

Couscous Cake
- 2 organic apples + a Vitamix OR 3c fruit juice (apple, pear, pineapple, or something similar)
- 2c whole wheat couscous
- toppings: I enjoyed jam and maple syrup

Homemade apple juice: Wash the apples and slice up to remove the stem and seeds.  Put apple chunks into Vitamix (or other high speed blender) with 1c water.  Blast away until you have a smooth drink.  Boil 2c of the apple juice and 1c water in a pot.  If you are using regular juice without the fiber, bring fruit juice to a boil.  Once boiling, add the couscous and simmer on low for 2 minutes.  After 2 minutes, turn off the heat and let stand for 10 minutes.

Once couscous is done, pour into a lightly oiled loaf pan. Mash the couscous down, using the loaf pan more like a mold.  Cover and place in the fridge.  The next morning, slice and either eat cold or heat it up, and top with whatever floats your boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment