Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I'm Fruity!

I love breakfast!  I'm always looking for new meals to try, especially something that's healthy and fast.  I recently started reading the Raw on $10 a Day (or Less!) blog.  I can't really imagine myself going completely raw, but the breakfast ideas are wonderful for a summer day.  The one pictured above was quite scrumptious.  It consists of a raw "pudding" made of a half a mango, a banana, and an avocado blended in a blender or food processor.  Then you top it with sliced bananas, the other half of the mango, chopped, and some granola I made previously.  Soooo good!  Next time I make this, I'm going to add in some lime juice or lime zest.  I really enjoyed the tang from the mango and wanted to add to it.

Another tasty treat from Lisa's blog was a fruit bowl made out of a half of cantaloupe and in the scooped out hole from where the seeds were, putting in some sliced strawberries and topping with coconut and some chopped cashews.  Very good and very easy.

Less healthy, but just as easy and tasty was French toast I had this morning.


Easy French Toast
- 4 slices of crusty bread, stale or toasted
- 1/2c almond milk
- 1.5 tbsp WWPF (whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- couple of dashes of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Toast the sliced bread in a toaster oven at 300F for 10 minutes until hard, unless the bread is already stale.  Whisk together the milk, flour, agave syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla until lumps from flour are gone.  Pour into a flat container like a pie tin so you can dip your four slices of bread in.  Let sit for a minute or so to soak in the batter, flip and do again.  While soaking, heat up your nonstick skillet (you may need to add additional spray oil to the pan).  Transfer your bread slices to the skillet and cook until browned on one side, approximately 4-5 minutes.  Flip the toast and cook for another 4 minutes or so until browned.

Depending on how long you soaked the bread in the batter, you may have soft-ish French toast.  If you like them more crispy, pop them back into the toaster oven and toast for a few minutes while making your topping.  Today I used warmed applesauce and had it with a side of cantaloupe.

No comments:

Post a Comment